National Legal Network of Lawyers

Charged with DWI / DUI? Know Your Rights!

Charged with DWI / DUI? Know Your Rights!

Protect Your Rights in a DWI

If you have specific questions about your DWI or DUI case, or would like to discuss your legal options with an attorney today, call us today at 1-800-ATTORNEY!

Choosing to operate a motor vehicle after consuming alcohol can result in serious consequences. For starters, you could seriously injure yourself or others in a car accident. All states within the U.S. recognize the seriousness of driving under the influence/driving while intoxicated (DUI/DWI) and impose serious legal repercussions for those caught doing so.

In addition to causing injury, you could also have your license suspended or be convicted of a felony and spend time in prison. While laws associated with DUI and DWI are clear, there are certain issues that a criminal attorney can evaluate to ensure that your rights have not been violated.

Prior to being charged with a DWI/DUI, a law enforcement officer probably suspected that you were under the influence. There are a number of ways that he or she could have arrived at this conclusion, but a criminal attorney will review your response (or lack of response) to determine your best course of action moving forward.

Can I Refuse a Field Sobriety Test?

If a law enforcement officer suspects that you are under the influence of alcohol while operating a motor vehicle, they may ask you to submit to a field sobriety test (e.g., counting backward or walking a straight line). You have the right to refuse a test to determine if you are under the influence of alcohol.

In the state of Texas, refusing a sobriety test can result in your license being suspended for up to two years, however, you can fight this. There is a short period from when you are arrested, that you can fight to appeal the suspension. A criminal attorney is essential in this process.

Why Do I Need an Attorney?

The Texas criminal system has a lot of pressure from interest groups and constituents to prosecute cases of DWI/DUI to the fullest extent. When fighting such a charge, having a criminal defense attorney on your side will give you a much better chance at a successful defense.

1 Comment
  1. I am trying to get help for my boyfriend who is in prison in Arizona. He can not get his questions answered as to how long he is in for and when he will be extradited back to New York. He has been asking and getting nowhere. He put in for extradition months ago. Please feel free to call me for more information. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

1-800-ATTORNEY® - Copyright © Lawyer Holdings, LLC
For licensing information: Contact us